Friday, August 09, 2013

Exploring OpenSUSE 12

Yet more documentation of my Exploring Variants of Linux in the Rackspace Cloud

OpenSUSE package management is via Yast.  Yast wants to be interactive.  It might be possible to do things from the commandline but it seems to work best interactively.

This makes it harder to review what you've done since there's no record of exact command line options.  My root history simply says "yast", with no indication of what I installed.

As such, I don't have a good audit trail for what I've done on the OpenSUSE server.

However, it gave me very few problems and had few if any issues.

OpenSUSE will surprise you if/when you run "pstree -paul"

You'll find init has been replaced by something called "systemd".  As with Ubuntu's "upstart", OpenSUSE's "systemd" replaces the tried-and-true system init scripts with something new and wonderful.

man systemd.special systemd.unit systemd.service systemd.socket systemd.target

...there's quite a bit of learning and reading to be done.  Another day.   As with Ubuntu Server, were I forced to work with and manage a Linux other than RedHat/CentOS, I'd be quite happy with OpenSUSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment