Friday, August 09, 2013

Exploring Ubuntu 12 Server

As I promised in Exploring Variants of Linux I'm following up with my impressions of, and notes on, various Linux distros.  This is the first of those "general impressions".

If you're a RedHat/CentOS centric Linux user, hopefully these posts will help you over the first few hurdles you might find on the various other distros.

As with all of the Rackspace Cloud distros, the Ubuntu 12 Server distro is very lean.  I noticed a few relatively important tools were not installed.  They're not "required" but they're really handy, so my first step was to install them:

apt-get install mlocate
updatedb
apt-get install make
apt-get install gcc

I noticed only one service running which is not needed - "whoopsie" - so I turned it off.

root@pbr-ubuntu12:~# cat /etc/default/whoopsie 
[General]
report_crashes=true
root@pbr-ubuntu12:~# sed -i 's/report_crashes=true/report_crashes=false/' /etc/default/whoopsie 
root@pbr-ubuntu12:~# cat /etc/default/whoopsie 
[General]
report_crashes=false
root@pbr-ubuntu12:~# sudo service whoopsie stop
root@pbr-ubuntu12:~# 

Upgrading to the latest ubuntu was very lengthy and verbose, including a full-screen interaction with a pink background.. but it was functional:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
do-release-upgrade

Upstart's quite a bit different from the standards sys5 init script approach, but easy enough to get accustomed to.   

man upstart-events

...neat.  Upstart's pretty darn powerful, in fact.

 General impression?  If I was forced to use something other than a RedHat/CentOS distro, I'd be quite happy with Ubuntu Server.

No comments:

Post a Comment